Food Testing Equipment: Serving a Safe Food Supply
Food and beverage testing lab equipment is used to evaluate the quality and integrity of solid and liquid food samples. Food safety is a key topic of concern among consumers and the future of food safety starts with testing in the laboratory or on the field. Although food testing is critical for food safety, food testing is also applicable for standard quality control.
Some of the key applications that food testing analyzers are used for are:
- Food chemistry analysis, such as moisture, fat, protein, pH, salt, minerals, sugar, contaminants, and more.
- Food microbiology analysis, such as Lactobacillus, Salmonella, Pseudomonas, Listeria, E. coli, Staphylococcus aureus, yeast, mold, and more.
- Food nutrition analysis
- Food allergen analysis, such as peanut, egg, soy, and other allergens.
- Natural food toxin analysis, such as histamine and fumosin.
- Food shelf-life studies
- Food quality control determination, such as GMO analysis, wheat adulteration, etc.
A Range of Instrumentation:
There is a range of possible instruments and systems used for food testing. Central to food testing analysis are spectrometers
, alcohol analyzers
, moisture analyzers
, and other standard lab equipment. Specialized analyzers and meters are also available per specific methods and applications, while others can be used for various food analysis requirements.
Key specifications for purchasing food and beverage testing equipment:
The two biggest factors that will drive your decisions will be what the equipment will be used for and regulatory compliance. However other key considerations include portability in an effort to perform food testing in the field, sensitivity to detect trace levels down to parts per trillion (ppt), and analysis time.
Food Testing Compliance:
- FDA/BAM: U.S. Food and Drug Administration/Bacteriological Analytical Manual
- USDA: U.S. Department of Agriculture
- FSIS: Food Safety and Inspection Service
- ISO: International Organization for Standardization
- USP: United States Pharmacopeial Convention
- AOAC: Association of Official Agricultural Chemists
- CMMEF: American Public Health Association's Compendium of Methods for the Microbiological Examination of Food
Browse the directory to discover and compare food and testing instruments:
Incorporating a high-performance semiconductor detector, the... read more
Patented batch mill for grinding soft, fibrous, hard and ... read more
A differential scanning calorimeter (DSC) is a benchtop instrument used to determine thermodynamic ... read more
A particle size analyzer, also known as a particle sizer, is used to measure the sizes of particles ... read more
The Eppendorf New Brunswick BioFlo/CelliGen 115 Fermentor and Bioreactor allows for flexible fermentation and cell culture with accurate process control of pH, temperature, and DO enabling higher yields.
The LiquiPhysics Excellence System is an innovative, flexible system for the quality control of liquid products, including density, specific gravity, refractive index, Brix, API, pH, conductivity and color. Applications include pharmaceutical, ...
How safe is our food? This is a volatile issue for many consumers and a
major challenge for the food-analysis sector. read more
A first-rate and exciting program of events awaits visitors at the 24th analytica in Munich. read more
Thursday, December 26, 2013
The Pittsburgh Conference on Analytical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy, a Pennsylvania non-profit corporation, is proud to announce its 2014 Pittsburgh Conference Memorial National College Grant (PCMNCG) recipients. read more
Wednesday, December 18, 2013
EMD Millipore, the Life Science division of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, today announced the availability of its Lab Solutions Virtual Conference for on-demand viewing. read more
Friday, November 08, 2013
Researchers at the Netherlands Cancer Institute (Nederlands Kanker Instituut, NKI) are benefitting from the advanced, multi-parameter characterisation offered by Avacta Analytical’s Optim® technology for the study of novel proteins. Dr Anastassis Perrakis, Principle Investigator in the Institute’s ... read more